Inspired by a desire to seek and serve God in innovative ways, 45 families established St. Paul’s Church of the City of Cleveland in 1846. Since then, we have marked the following milestones:

  • 1876 – St. Paul’s moves into a new church building at E. 40th and Euclid Avenue, and establishes missions in poorer, immigrant neighborhoods in Cleveland, which nourish body and soul.
  • 1928 – The congregation moves to its current location at Fairmount and Coventry in Cleveland Heights upon completion of a parish hall and bell tower.
  • 1951 – After the Great Depression and World War II, the Nave is finally completed.
  • 1956 – A nursery school wing is added to meet the needs of a growing congregation.
  • 1963 – The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King speaks at St. Paul’s at the request of St. Paul’s Christian Social Action Committee.
  • 1986 – St. Paul’s welcomes its first female clergyperson.
  • 1991 – South Wing classrooms and art gallery are added.
  • 2010-13 – A series of capital improvement projects were completed. A new welcoming and accessible entrance was created on the north side of the building in the former McCracken Library. The house to the north on Coventry was purchased and remodeled to provide staff offices and meeting spaces. Tucker Hall was renovated and restored to its full use as a parish hall. Renovations were completed in the Nave, Sacristy, Dining Room and Kitchen.
St. Paul’s Nave

St. Paul’s is the church home to 1,700 members and is one of the largest parishes in the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio.

The Episcopal Church has some 2 million members in 7,200 parishes in the United States and more than a dozen foreign countries.

St. Paul’s, like other parishes in the Episcopal Church, is part of the worldwide Anglican Communion.  The Anglican Communion, of which the Archbishop of Canterbury is spiritual head, is made up of 80 million members in forty autonomous churches around the globe.

Learn more about the Episcopal Church on its website.